Monday, August 13, 2012

Planes, Planes, and More Planes: Departure Day

Tuesday July 31, 2012: Scotland Departure Day!

Finally, the day I have been counting down to all summer has arrived. The day I once again get to depart for Scotland!

Beep! Beep! Beep! I awoke with a start at 5:30am thanks to the annoying beeping and buzzing of my alarm clock. After the initial annoyance of being up dreadfully early, I soon realized that I was leaving for Scotland, and my annoyance soon disappeared. I showered and finished up some last minute packing and was out the door with my parents and on my way to Pittsburgh International Airport by 7:00am. I had a quick breakfast with my parents before heading to check-in and get my baggage checked. While at the baggage check, I met up with two other travelers in the Edinboro group, Beckie and Kate. We soon said goodbye to our parents, zipped through security, and made it to our departure gate, 84. We were the first ones from our group to arrive and it was nice to just be able to sit and relax before the rest of the group arrived. The airport was playing wonderful and relaxing classical music, which made it possible for me just to close my eyes and think about what the upcoming 12 days would be like, and mentally prepare for the flight, because I'm still not too keen on flying. The rest of the group finally arrived, and it was soon time to board the plane at 11:40am and head to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

Arrived at JFK at 1:50pm. Flight was not too bad, only had some slight turbulence but that was because the plane was a bit smaller than what I'm used to. Had just enough time to grab a quick lunch, a fruit salad, and get to know some of the others traveling in the Edinboro group before preparing to board the next flight to Amsterdam at 3:30pm.

Arrived at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol! The flight to Amsterdam was long, but not bad at all! We arrived at 6:00am and we are all feeling super tired. The plane to Amsterdam was huge! Definitely the biggest plane that I have ever been on! Watched one of my favorite movies Morning Glory which was provided by Delta, and then listened to some of the fabulous music choices provided by the flight including, Michael Buble, Mumford and Sons, and Celtic Women to get me into the Celtic music mood. Thought that listening to the music would be able to help me sleep, but I was wrong. Probably slept a total of a half hour on the entire flight. All that I can count on to keep me running is the adrenaline. 

Next time I post, I'll officially be in Edinburgh, Scotland!

No comments:

Post a Comment